City of Branson Election April 6, 2021

Candidates

On April 6, 2021 Branson voters will be able to vote for one of two Alderman representing their Ward. The Branson Board of Aldermen consists of six aldermen, two from each Ward, and the Mayor. Each of these is elected for two-year terms. Each of the City’s three Wards will have one Alderman position on the ballot, as will the position of Mayor.

Those wishing to register to vote may also do this in the City Clerk’s office.

For a list of who has filed a Declaration of Candidacy, click on the 2021 Final Candidate List button.

2021 Final Candidate List (PDF)

City of Branson Tourism Tax/Bonding Capacity Renewal

On April 6, 2021 Branson voters will have the opportunity to vote on whether to continue issuing bonds and collecting a Tourism Tax that supports infrastructure and marketing efforts for the City of Branson.

WHAT IS THE TOURISM TAX?

The Tourism Tax currently provides the funds needed to improve and maintain critical public infrastructure and to market Branson’s tourism economy. The Tourism Tax currently shifts costs related to infrastructure maintenance and improvements from residents onto visitors and tourists of the City of Branson.

WHAT ARE THE CURRENT TOURISM TAX RATES AND WHO PAYS IT?

The Tourism Tax is imposed on visitors and tourists who purchase rooms or accommodations as well as on food and drink sales and tickets to area attractions. 

  • 4% on rooms, accommodations, and tickets to area attractions.
  • 0.5% on food and drink sales.

WILL THIS TOURISM TAX RENEWAL CHANGE THOSE RATES? 

The Tourism Tax renewal on the ballot will not change any of the current Tourism Tax rates. 

HOW MUCH DOES THE TOURISM TAX GENERATE? 

In the fiscal year 2018, the Branson Tourism Tax generated $12,364,279.

WHERE DOES THE MONEY GO?

  • 75% goes to infrastructure maintenance and improvements
    1. This includes sidewalks, streets, highways, roads, waterworks, and wastewater – including distribution and collection systems.
    2. The City currently has more than $80M in planned projects.
  • 25% goes to tourism marketing and promotion (98% of which goes to marketing and the remaining 2% goes to administrative fees).
  • The City can’t use the money for any other purposes.

Click on the below button for an interactive application that shows past projects funded by the Tourism Tax and proposed future projects that would be funded by the Tourism Tax.
Tourism Tax Projects

HOW THE TOURISM TAX WORKS

The City of Branson issues bonds to pay for the infrastructure projects. The City collects the tax and deposits it in a special trust fund used to pay off those bonds.

HOW LONG WILL IT LAST IF APPROVED?

The Tourism tax will expire when all the bonds that are issued are repaid.

HISTORY

Voters approved the present tax in 1997. This tax will expire when the current outstanding bonds are repaid, which will occur in January 2022.

WHAT IT NEEDS TO PASS

The Tourism Tax renewal needs the approval of 4/7 of the voters voting on the question that will be on the April, 2021 ballot.

WHAT WILL I SEE ON THE BALLOT?

Voters will see two separate questions on the ballot:

QUESTION 1

Shall the municipality of Branson, Missouri issue bonds in the amount of $93,000,000 for the purpose of funding sidewalks, streets, highways, roads, waterworks, and wastewater including distribution and collection systems, and shall a tourism tax of 4.0% be imposed on the price paid or charged for rooms or accommodations for thirty days or less at hotels, motels, tourist courts, campground sites, condominium units, time-share interests in condominiums and the price charged for tickets and other charges for admission to or participation in private tourist attractions to repay such bonds or previously voter-approved bonded indebtedness and to promote tourism?

QUESTION 2

Shall the municipality of Branson, Missouri issue bonds in the amount of $93,000,000 for the purpose of funding sidewalks, streets, highways, roads, waterworks, and wastewater including distribution and collection systems, and shall a tourism tax of 0.5% be imposed on the price paid or charged for food and drinks sold in restaurants and other establishments to repay such bonds or previously voter-approved bonded indebtedness and promote tourism?

QUESTIONS?

For any questions regarding this issue, please contact the City of Branson Finance Department at 417-337-8538.